Storied Yarns Shops Updated Today!

15 Aug

Today I updated my Etsy and Artfire shops. I included some rovings/combed tops, a set of handspun yarn skeins and some project bags!

One of the project bags (top left) is quilted and interfaced so it’s ideal for carrying a spindle and some fiber. The others are smaller, great for one-skein projects. The handspun is a whopping 298 yards of worsted weight squishy goodness and the combed tops include BFL, BFl/Firestar and Superwash merino in my nursery rhyme colorways and a NEW Harry Potter inspiration!

Advertisements

Swap Preparations

14 Aug

So, as I’ve probably mentioned here before, I’m a moderator for the Heartfelt Handmade swap on Ravelry. The whole point of the swap is to make ONE handmade item for another person who will actually appreciate it because they’re crafty, too. Then we just add in one extra, very small item to finish the package and mail it off! It’s a low-cost swap with the emphasis on the craft and the spirit of the swap, so I love being part of it.

A few times a year I jump in and participate in the swap as well. This round, August to October, we’re swapping something for the hands – mittens, gloves, arm warmers, fingerless mitts, you get the picture. At the risk of giving too much away I’ll just say that I decided it would be the best option for my recipient if I dyed up some Faux Cashmere spinning fiber to make her mitts.

I chose my “Irial” colorway which is a blend of some of my recipient’s favorite colors (deep red, burgundy, purple and black). I dyed it in a graduated pattern instead of variegated this time, so I’ll split this braid in half lengthwise and then spin a single from each half and n-ply those singles on themselves to maintain the color progression from start to finish.

Here’s the fiber:

I’ve never spun straight Faux Cashmere before, but I’ve been wanting to for a while, so this will be exciting for me! I’m going to knit my Rainbow Brite Mitts pattern b/c I’ve been wanting to see how that will look in a graduated pattern instead of a striping one. I hope my recipient likes the mitts!

In other news, I sewed up a little bag of some sort. I’m not really sure what to call it! I wanted to make a sturdy project bag so I could use it to hold a spindle and not risk damaging that spindle too much. This design is okay, but it’s not 100% what I had envisioned, so I’m going back to the drawing board. In the meantime, I’ll be putting this one in my shop some time on Monday in case someone else finds a good home for it:

The bag is made from a sturdy canvas fabric on the outside. It has interfacing and batting on the inside and it’s quilted, with a regular hot pink cotton lining. It has a nylon webbing strap on it and some binding on the top edge. In the pictures you can see I have put some stuff in there to show off the size – that’s 4 oz of superwash merino top and two of my spindles to show that the bag is plenty large enough to hold those items and more. 🙂

Watch for a Shop Update in Etsy and Artfire on Monday – it will have some roving/top and a few project bags in addition to this one!

A Wedding Tradition

13 Aug

I finished a project, yay! Mind you, I still have a shrug on the needles and a few spinning WIPs, but at least I finished something, right? 🙂

My husband has a friend who needed a traditional Russian first-year wedding anniversary  gift for his wife, which apparently is a muslin tablecloth with a decorative edging. Most of them are pretty darn decorative, but I agreed to make a very simple one and that was fine with the recipient, so here’s what he got:

I used some decorative stitches on my sewing machine and some light blue thread to do the border. It feels good to finish something!

Shop Update Today!

11 Aug

I added 3 new art batts and 3 skeins of handspun to the Artfire and Etsy shops today!

From top to bottom: Little Boy Blue, Little Miss Muffet and Love in the Wild!

These are all chunkified art batts. However, they’re also SUPER soft. I’ve used cloud-like merino and BFL locks in these batts in addition to silky smooth tussah silk and faux cashmere, plus firestar for plenty of sparkle. These batts are truly a spinning adventure and soooo soft and squishy! Each one weighs approximately 2.8 ounces.

Here are the handspun skeins: Blood Orange Creamsicle, Forget-Me-Not and Barnaby Victorious

The top one is a 2ply, light fingering weight and over 300 yards! The bottom two are n-plied; the middle is sport weight and 128 yards and the bottom is aran weight and 110 yards.

Thanks for browsing everyone!!!

Monkey Quilt Top Finished!

3 Aug

Ok, so I got the idea for this quilt MONTHS ago, but I finally got around to starting it more recently than that. Today I finished sewing together the top for a monkey quilt I’m making for my son’s birthday (he will be 2 in September). It’s my first non-T-shirt quilt, and on top of that I sort of made up the pattern as I went along, so it has its imperfections but I’m okay with that.

Here’s the top displayed on my son’s toddler bed:

Not the easiest thing to see, but it has monkey fabric framed in random green/brown/gold/tan scraps, then strips of green and banana fabrics in between.

Hopefully I’ll get the time to quilt, back and bind it before the week is out!