My oldest son turns 8 in a few weeks, wow! As part of his birthday celebration, I wanted to make him at least one handmade gift. I cut out the fronts of his old T-shirts a loooong time ago, and I finally got around to seaming them together today. The top to his T-shirt quilt is officially finished!
I’m going to tie it rather than stitch-quilt it, because I think it would be hard to go through all that jersey fabric for traditional quilting. I’ve got to go get the binding and the backing (I’m using a bed sheet), then I’ll hopefully get it finished next week! I hope he enjoys snuggling under all his favorite characters at night. 🙂
For what it’s worth, I used 20 boys’ sized T-shirts to make this quilt top. I cut them into 12-inch squares (give or take) to make each quilt square. I don’t measure things like seam allowances so it may be a little wonky but I hope that only adds to its charm. 🙂 I didn’t measure the finished quilt but the bed it’s on is a twin size. If I had more T-shirts I’d be tempted to add another row, but I’d have to cut up the shirts he still wears every day to do that, and I don’t want to decrease his wardrobe by 4 shirts right now, so I’m leaving it like this. Even for me, this is a good throw blanket size (it goes from my chin to my toes and is plenty wide enough for my body), so I figure even as he grows it will still be useful in some capacity for him.
Now, let’s just hope he loves the quilt and isn’t mad that I cut up all his old shirts …