Fiber Arts Friday: Finished Ravelympics Project!

27 Feb

Well, this week has been pretty productive in the fiber arts around here. First of all, I dyed up my new “Aphrodite” colorway for the Percy Jackson K/CAL Kits in my shop:

Aphrodite: Goddess of Love

I also made my first-ever attempt at dyeing spinning fiber, using the same colorway:

Aphrodite in Wool

It worked out okay, but not that great. I only handpaint for the time being, and I think I need to expand to kettle dyeing the next time I try wool. But it was a learning process, and it’ll be more fun to spin than my plain old white wool was!

I also finally finished and blocked my Claudine scarf for Ravelympics. I had intended to add fringe, but now I can’t find the leftover ball of yarn. So here it is, fringe-less:

I’m not thrilled with it, to be honest with you. I still LOVE this yarn, but I really don’t like the pattern. After blocking, as you can see in the photo of it on my couch, it ended up belling out on the ends, which I don’t care for. Plus, it’s just a dull stitch pattern and I wish I would’ve used it for something else. But at least it’s finished, and I will wear it b/c I love the yarn and the colors even though I don’t LOVE the pattern.

Now I’m working on a dishcloth pattern that I’m using for an afghan square for Natchwoolie’s love blanket. Unfortunately, I have frogged it at least three times now, b/c the size isn’t working out right and also I mis-counted last time. I swear the next time I cast on will be the LAST time I cast on!

This post was part of Fiber Arts Friday at the Wonder Why Alpaca Farm Blog. Check it out!

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Fiber Arts Friday: Finished Ravelympics Project!”

  1. Kate February 27, 2010 at 3:47 am #

    I think you did a great job matching up the colors – I have found the it can be difficult to evenly match spinning fiber and yarn – they take dye differently. Also, experimenting with the same colorway on different fiber types yields some interesting results. I like to think of them as “sister” colors, rather than identical.

    • jessecreations February 27, 2010 at 4:02 am #

      Thank you! Yeah, the hardest part was the handpainting of the fiber. It was hard to soak it through; I got a tie-dye effect which is kind of fun, actually. Plus, the brushes I use for handpainting are all fuzzy afterward! 🙂

      Jessica Cook Visit my blog at http://www.jessecreations.wordpress.com.

  2. AlpacaFarmgirl February 27, 2010 at 4:06 am #

    I like the dye job, and I know that feeling sooo well. Its not exactly what you planned… The scarf looks super cool. Thanks for sharing!

    • jessecreations February 27, 2010 at 4:18 am #

      Thanks for visiting! Yeah, it’s definitely different than I planned, but you never know until you try. 🙂

      Jessica Cook Visit my blog at http://www.jessecreations.wordpress.com.

  3. breezehillfarm February 27, 2010 at 11:54 am #

    Love the colorway. Beautiful colors!

  4. wonderwhygal March 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm #

    The yarn, the roving dye job and your ravelympics scarf are beautiful!

    I’m glad you didn’t put the fringe on the scarf…I like it like it is.

    I really LOVE your aphrodite!

    I am just starting to experiment with color change in dyeing fiber and it is more difficult that it appears. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations.

    Thank you for participating in Fiber Arts Friday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: